Sunday, March 8, 2009

A rainy day...

...in New York made me think of a rainy day in London several years ago. My friend was studying for an art history Doctorate at Oxford (I know, impressive!) and I was able to visit her for a week or so, traveling into London via the Oxford Tube for day trips. I recently unearthed a CD with some photos from one of those day trips. They were shot with a Canon Elph (anyone remember those?) and scanned onto a disc by the photo lab. It's amazing to see the difference in feeling between these photos and my digital pics. I sort of like the atmospheric quality of these shots. They make me wistful for one of my favorite places on the planet, London. I hope to get back there one day before too long. After all, it has been well over five years now!

Talk about fantastic architecture! Bibendum is housed in the former UK headquarters of the Michelin Tyre Co., built in 1909. Now home of a restaurant, cafe, and oyster bar, founded by Terrence Conran, Simon Hopkinson, and Michael Hamlyn in the 1980s. When I visited, there was also a Conran Shop there, but I don't know if it's still in operation.

A photo of the beautiful details on the exterior of the Michelin Building. I love the carved detail above the window and the fantastic tile work, not to mention the great Bibendum lettering on the window grate. They seem to bridge the Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods.

A closeup of the entrance to the South Kensington tube station. I love the nostalgic feeling of the architectural details!

More ornate deco tile work. A detail of the entrance to Bluebird, another Conran establishment (that man is everywhere!). This one was formerly an automotive repair garage on King's Road. I'm sensing a theme here...

I'm not quite sure where I took this photo. I just loved the tile work on the exterior of this old building, which looked like it had seen better days. There seemed to be a lot of great tile detailing on the buildings around London. I guess I had a thing for the tile work!

Believe it or not, this is the entrance to a Pizza Express restaurant! The building, known as The Pheasantry, houses the restaurant on it's ground floor. Oh, how I love London!

1 comment:

Hebden said...

Ack, I'm getting homesick looking at these. The green tiles look like the exterior of the Antiquarius Antiques Centre on the Kings Road but I could be wrong...